Amanda-Users

vtapes, virtual libraries, and tape?

2007-03-06 17:12:04
Subject: vtapes, virtual libraries, and tape?
From: "Lonny Selinger" <lonny AT bangtherockstogether DOT net>
To: amanda-users AT amanda DOT org
Date: Tue, 6 Mar 2007 15:43:14 -0600 (CST)
All,

I'm just digging around a little more but I figured I'd put this out anyway.
I'm just curious if anyone has tried anything like this ... I'd like to
maintain longer retention period backups to tape and still have the advantage
of using the file-driver and a virtual library of tapes.

Based on the virsatility of Amanda I'm sure it's possible but the only thing I
can think of so far is to create another config that would write to tape and
would only write full backups. What it looks like would happen though is that
I would have a full to tape and a full on disk that my incriemtals would be
based off of.

Is it possible to have a full backed up to tape and have just the incrementals
written to disk? I'm not sure how I would link the two or if there's a way to
configure this. I'm prety new to Amanda so I'll keep searching but I figured
I'd ask.

Thanks,
Lonny
--
"To mess up a Linux box, you need to work at it; to mess up your Windows box,
you just need to work ON it."