Amanda-Users

Re: Should we move to amanda 2.5.1 ?

2007-03-06 09:32:06
Subject: Re: Should we move to amanda 2.5.1 ?
From: Cyrille Bollu <Cyrille.Bollu AT fedasil DOT be>
To: "Guy Dallaire" <clepeterd AT gmail DOT com>
Date: Tue, 6 Mar 2007 15:24:06 +0100

> 2007/2/27, Guy Dallaire <clepeterd AT gmail DOT com>:
> We're happily running amanda 2.4.5 right now. I'm wondering if we
> should move toward 2.5.1. I don't see the advantages for us. Are
> major bug fixes still issued for 2.4.5 ?
>
> If we move to 2.5.1, will we be able to recover the backups we made
> with 2.4.5. Do we have to upgrade all the clients and server at the
> same time ?
>
> Thanks

> Was I too vague ?

Maybe...

I'm in the same situation as your.

Sometime ago, I was considering upgrade to 2.5.1 for some reasons but I can't remember why. Maybe this was something to do with the fact that amanda 2.5.1 could run scripts on the client before doing a backup... Oh wait, I just remembered now: It was just that I wanted to re-compile amanda to use a larger block size than the one pre-defined in RedHat (but maybe there was also this idea of client-side script execution)

Then I read quite a few bug reports on the list concerning the first releases of 2.5.1 and now I'm not so excited by this upgrade anymore...

Cyrille