Amanda-Users

RE: SDLT-4 compareded to LTO-3

2007-03-02 09:09:56
Subject: RE: SDLT-4 compareded to LTO-3
From: Joshua Baker-LePain <jlb17 AT duke DOT edu>
To: Anthony Worrall <anthony.worrall AT reading.ac DOT uk>
Date: Fri, 2 Mar 2007 09:01:28 -0500 (EST)
On Fri, 2 Mar 2007 at 1:07pm, Anthony   Worrall wrote

Sorry a bit of dyslexia I meant DLT-S4 not SDLT-4

Here is a reference
http://www.quantum.com/Products/TapeDrives/DLT/DLT-S4/Index.asp

Well, that was 404 for me but I found it eventually. I have no experience with DLT so I can only comment on the specs. 800GB native is nice (obviously), but filling that at "only" 60MB/s is going to take a while, so keep your backup window in mind. LTO-3 (400GB native) is rated at 80MB/s and LTO-4 (800GB native, drives due 1H07) is rated at 120MB/s.

Also, be sure there's a good upgrade path. LTO is rather linear (erm, by definition I guess), while DLT looks (to these unfamiliar eyes) like a bit of a mess.

Another nice feature of LTO is the "smart" hardware compression (i.e. it won't try to compress (and thus expand) already compressed data). Back when I was looking, I was told that S-AIT had that as well. I'd check that about DLT-S4 as well.

--
Joshua Baker-LePain
Department of Biomedical Engineering