Amanda-Users

Re: SDLT-4 compareded to LTO-3

2007-03-02 07:36:00
Subject: Re: SDLT-4 compareded to LTO-3
From: Joshua Baker-LePain <jlb17 AT duke DOT edu>
To: Anthony Worrall <anthony.worrall AT reading.ac DOT uk>
Date: Fri, 2 Mar 2007 07:28:26 -0500 (EST)
On Fri, 2 Mar 2007 at 10:31am, Anthony   Worrall wrote

This is not strictly an amanda question but I thought I would see if any
one has any views on SDLT-4 compared to LTO-3.

We are currently looking at replacing our tape devices an are looking at
SDLT-4 which seems to be about the same price as LTO-3 but offer twice
the capacity. Has anyone got any experience of these drives. I am told
by our supplier that they are selling many more LTO-3 than SDLT-4. Is it
just that SDLT-4 is newer is there some reason?

Maybe I'm just not looking hard enough, but all I can find is SDLT-II, which is 300GB native -- got any links? IIRC, LTO-4 has been announced, but I can't find any products yet.

The reason I like LTO is that it's an open standard with a well defined roadmap and an emphasis on compatibility among generations.

--
Joshua Baker-LePain
Department of Biomedical Engineering