Amanda-Users

dump cycles and such

2006-11-28 12:00:22
Subject: dump cycles and such
From: René Kanters <rkanters AT richmond DOT edu>
To: amanda-users AT amanda DOT org
Date: Tue, 28 Nov 2006 11:51:26 -0500
Hi,

I am trying to set up my test system so that I get on 5 tapes 2 full backups at any time and incremental ones in between them. I thought that I should be able to do that using in my amanda.conf these lines:
dumpcycle 4 tapes
runspercycle 4
tapecycle 5
usetimestamps true   # make sure I can do more than one test a day

when I run an amdump on this test (all on the same day, since I am not patient) five times in a row, I end up with no level 0 dumps (since they got overwritten).

I assumed that by setting the dumpcycle to 4 tapes, I should always have a full dump every fourth tape and with having a total of 5 tapes, I'd end up with two level 0 dumps on all my tapes together.

Am I doing something wrong in the conf file, or is it not possible to test amdump several times on the same day to try to speed up the testing of a longer dump cycle?

Thanks,
René