Amanda-Users

Re: confused and concerned about virtual tape sizes

2006-11-15 21:23:26
Subject: Re: confused and concerned about virtual tape sizes
From: Ross Vandegrift <ross AT kallisti DOT us>
To: René Kanters <rkanters AT richmond DOT edu>
Date: Wed, 15 Nov 2006 18:54:59 -0500
On Fri, Nov 10, 2006 at 02:43:13PM -0500, René Kanters wrote:
> I backup a small directory (/home/rene at about 2.1MB) and when I run
> amdump I get messages with (excerpts):
[snip]
> i.e., the full size of my (compressed) /home/rene

You're running up against Amanda being too smart!

Since it seems that your data set is very small, it is doing a full
backup every time.  Why bother to make an incremental backup of
2.1MiB?

By default, Amanda must get a 10MiB savings before it will bump to the
bumppercent, bumpmult, and bumpdays.

The short, though, throw some real data at it and you'll see some real
performance!

--
Ross Vandegrift
ross AT kallisti DOT us