Amanda-Users

Re: Debian Amanda package upgrade issues

2006-11-13 07:33:41
Subject: Re: Debian Amanda package upgrade issues
From: Jean-Louis Martineau <martineau AT zmanda DOT com>
To: Frank Smith <fsmith AT hoovers DOT com>
Date: Mon, 13 Nov 2006 07:22:05 -0500
Frank,

In 2.5.1, we removed all old options/syntax from the configurations files.

For the problem of holdingdisk 'use' set to 0, it's a bad check that was added to amcheck, amdump will work as expected with the use set to '0'

Jean-Louis

Frank Smith wrote:
Since I play further on the edge with my home backups than the ones
for work, I updated my home Amanda server and clients (Debian etch
packages) from 2.5.0p2-2.1 to 2.5.1p1-2, and tar from 1.15.91-2 to
1.16-1.
  The first ones upgraded were a couple of the clients yesterday,
and that appeared to go well, as last nights backups were successful.
   Today I upgraded the server (and the client on it as well), and
ran into some issues concerning my amanda.conf, which hadn't changed.
amcheck errored out on the following in my amanda.conf:
"/etc/amanda/daily/amanda.conf", line 48: configuration keyword expected
"/etc/amanda/daily/amanda.conf", line 48: end of line is expected
"/etc/amanda/daily/amanda.conf", line 122: dumptype parameter expected
"/etc/amanda/daily/amanda.conf", line 122: end of line is expected
"/etc/amanda/daily/amanda.conf", line 126: dumptype parameter expected
"/etc/amanda/daily/amanda.conf", line 126: end of line is expected
"/etc/amanda/daily/amanda.conf", line 134: dumptype parameter expected
"/etc/amanda/daily/amanda.conf", line 134: end of line is expected
"/etc/amanda/daily/amanda.conf", line 143: dumptype parameter expected
"/etc/amanda/daily/amanda.conf", line 143: end of line is expected

line48:
logfile  "/var/log/amanda/daily/log"
which worked before today.  Evidently 'logfile' is no longer a valid
parameter, I guess I just use 'logdir' instead and can no longer
specify the filename.

line 122:
maxcycle 0
I'm not sure where I got this from or what it was supposed to do, it
was in an always-full dumptype that I didn't use, but amanda never
complained about it before.  I just deleted it.

lines 126, 134, 143:
options no-compress
options compress-fast
options srvcompress
Evidently you can no longer use the word 'options' but just use
the option name by itself.

Once I fixed all the above to please the parser, amcheck completed
successfully, although it warned of what I think is a serious
change:

WARNING: holding disk /hdb/holdingdisk/daily: use nothing because
'use' is set to 0

According to the man page, and how it worked in the past,
use  int
    Default: 0 Gb.  Amount of space that can be used in this holding
    disk  area.   If  the  value is zero, all available space on the
    file system is used.  If the value is negative, Amanda will  use
    all available space minus that value.

Since the disk my holdingdisk is on is only used for Amanda, and
since I let a week's worth of dumps collect there before flushing
to tape (it will hold 2 week's worth), 'use 0' seemed like a
good value. I changed it to 'use -1mb', but either the code or the
documentation needs to change so they match.
   I don't know if these are Amanda developer issues or Debian
package maintainer issues, but I thought I would give a heads-up
to the list in case others get surprised by the changes.

Frank