Amanda-Users

Re: setup help with archive type backups

2006-11-07 15:42:50
Subject: Re: setup help with archive type backups
From: Joshua Baker-LePain <jlb17 AT duke DOT edu>
To: Bgs <bgs AT bgs DOT hu>
Date: Tue, 7 Nov 2006 15:35:04 -0500 (EST)
On Tue, 7 Nov 2006 at 5:41pm, Bgs wrote

I'd like to as some experienced Amanda user what approach would be best for us (or is amanda the best solution for this at all...)

We do archiving and not classic share backups. That is we assemble some raw material from time to time and archive it to tape. They always have new file, no file change involved. Consequently we do not erase and rotate tapes either.

On the source side, a source directory with date named directories looks to be a good solution, but how should I set up the tape part?

Just setup a config with 'dumpcycle 0', 'runspercycle 1', and a very large tapecycle. That will force amanda to do full dumps every amdump and never recycle tapes. For the source directory, you could re-use the same DLE every time. Or, what I do for my 'archive random bits' config, add a DLE (or DLEs), amdump it/them, and then comment out those DLEs. That way your disklist contains a record of everything you've archvied with that config.

--
Joshua Baker-LePain
Department of Biomedical Engineering