Amanda-Users

amdump issues involving wildcards--quoted wildcards appear to be sent to, and thus being interpreted literally by, gtar

2006-11-02 19:21:55
Subject: amdump issues involving wildcards--quoted wildcards appear to be sent to, and thus being interpreted literally by, gtar
From: "Ian R. Justman" <ianj AT ian-justman DOT com>
To: amanda-users AT amanda DOT org
Date: Thu, 02 Nov 2006 16:15:55 -0800

Hi, all.

I have an issue which is starting to vex me. I'm backing up a mail spool on a Sun UltraSPARC 5 which is getting rather big. Plus I have to do it in such a way that causes the interface not to get upset. If I stuff a lot of data through it, it'll shut the interface down, but it'll come back up. To combat this, I'm doing small sections of it throughout the backup session. Apparently, the issue I'm observing is a known issue of UltraSPARC 5 boxen.

The mail spool uses a hashed directory setup with directories numbered from 0 through 499 with directories within, much like Maildirs, but not. Here's a snippet from my disklist:

trillian /var/spool/PO/mailbox/0-99 /var/spool/PO/mailbox {
  user-tar
  include "./[0-9]/" "./[1-9][0-9]/"
} 1
.
.
.
trillian /var/spool/PO/mailbox/100-199 /var/spool/PO/mailbox {
  user-tar
  include "./1[0-9][0-9]/"
} 1
.
.
.
trillian /var/spool/PO/mailbox/100-199 /var/spool/PO/mailbox {
  user-tar
  include "./2[0-9][0-9]/"
} 1
.
.
.
(etc)

Near as I can figure, the commands being sent to the other machine (using oversimplified flags for the sake of brevity) is something to the effect of:

cd /var/spool/PO/mailbox
tar cvf - "./1[0-9][0-9]/"

If I hand-run the tar command without the quotes, it'll work just fine. However the moment I use these configuration stanzas, it won't work. Advice comes partly from the example disklist, partly from a few posts to the mailing list about wildcards.

The rest of the backups work fine, including one other for this host which specifically excludes the mailbox hierarchy.

My conjecture of what's happening is that the gtar command is being run with quotes around the items in the "include" statement in my disklist file, causing gtar to not perform any globbing and, instead, look for any pathname with actual brackets and globbing characters in it.

Any suggestions?

Thanks!

--Ian.