Amanda-Users

Re: amverifyrun getting stuck

2006-10-31 15:03:57
Subject: Re: amverifyrun getting stuck
From: Gene Heskett <gene.heskett AT verizon DOT net>
To: amanda-users AT amanda DOT org
Date: Tue, 31 Oct 2006 15:00:07 -0500
On Tuesday 31 October 2006 14:12, Steve Wray wrote:
>Dominik Schips wrote:
>> Hello,
>>
>> Am Dienstag, den 31.10.2006, 08:12 +1300 schrieb Steve Wray:
>>> Hi there,
>>> My amanda backup scripts do an amverifyrun after every run.
>>>
>>> One of our backup sets is on a tape changer.
>>
>> Sorry for the questinon, but I also have a tape changer.
>>
>> How do you do the amverifyrun after the backup if the backup used 2
>> tapes?
>
>It never uses 2 tapes.

At your place maybe, but there is not a limit other than practical, to the
number of tapes that can be set in "runtapes".

>> Do you have a special script for this or is this possible with
>> amverifyrun by default?
>> How can I check my tapes after a backup?
>>
>> I was thinking I can do this with a script grapping for the last used
>> tapes in the disklist file.
>> But if someone else know a better solution, please let me know.

This is something I've not done.  The only way (and I'd bet there is a
better way) would be to grab the last 'runtapes' from the list, load the
first one of those and scan forward until the tapes labeled date is the
date last run.  Then run the amverify on each tape in succession starting
with that first date match.

But I'd think there is a better way.

Comment:  since the amverify run is a full length pass over the written
tape, it is not something I would do as a matter of habit since that will
multiply the wear and tear on the changer and the tapes by at least 2, and
possibly more times.  I'd verify one run a week maybe, just to see
developing problems.  It does NOT compare the written data with the src
data, only verifying that the tape is readable w/o errors.

That said, I do it every night, BUT I'm using vtapes on a big hard drive,
so the verify pass is essentially free under those conditions.  If I was
still using (spit) the old dds2 tapes I started with way back when, no
way, the wear and tear isn't worth it.

>amverifyrun is supposed to 'know' which tape was used last based on the
>log files.
>
>Looking at the man page again though I have to say I am a little
>dubious. It seems awfuly lacking in clarity or, well, any information at
>all really.
>
>> Thank you for every help.
>>
>>> Recently, amverifyrun appears to have been getting 'stuck', verifying
>>> the same tape over and over again regardless of which tape was
>>> actually used in the last backup run.
>>>
>>> Most recently its become stuck on a tape which has not yet been used
>>> in amanda (labelled, never written to) resulting in some very amusing
>>> output...
>>>
>>> Any suggestions on how to unstick it?

I don't recall that ever happening to me, so I have no ideas on this, sorry
Dominik.

>>> Thanks!
>>
>> Best regards
>>
>> Dominik Schips