Amanda-Users

Re: amflush during amdump

2006-10-27 16:31:45
Subject: Re: amflush during amdump
From: Matt Hyclak <hyclak AT math.ohiou DOT edu>
To: amanda-users AT amanda DOT org
Date: Fri, 27 Oct 2006 16:22:39 -0400
On Fri, Oct 27, 2006 at 01:10:57PM -0500, Lee, Raymond enlightened us:
> Will there be a conflict if I run amflush while an amdump is running?
>
> I'll be running amdump like this so that I can accumulate enough
> multiple dumps in my holding disk before I amflush it to tape:
>
>       amdump DailySet1 -o tapedev=/dev/null -o tpchanger=""
>       (thanks to Jean-Louis for the taper options patch)
>

> Then I'll have a cron job that periodically checks the amount of space
> used in the holding disk.  If the size is close to the capacity of one
> of my tapes, then amflush will run.
>
> So my question is, if amflush runs while amdump is running, will it try
> to flush the dump that amdump is currently working on and cause any
> problems?

It won't run, it will complain there is another process already running.
What I would do is set autoflush=yes in amanda.conf, then instead of running
a separate cron job just write a wrapper around your amdump job. If the data
is less than your required level, call it with your -o options, if it is
above, call as usual and it will flush everything (including that run) to
tape.

Matt

--
Matt Hyclak