Amanda-Users

amanda vs catchup

2006-10-20 10:30:25
Subject: amanda vs catchup
From: Gene Heskett <gene.heskett AT verizon DOT net>
To: amanda-users AT amanda DOT org
Date: Fri, 20 Oct 2006 10:16:42 -0400
Greetings;

Another ps below

After the box crashed and powered itself down tuesday evening, no backups
were done for the 18th & 19th.  Last night of course overran the tape
because I'd switched those for a machine that had been shut down while I
was gone back on, so there'll be a flush tonight.

I also just installed on this server, the 2.5.1p1-20061019 snapshot, and
when I ran the finishing 'su amanda -c "amcheck Daily"' it returned this:

Amanda Tape Server Host Check
-----------------------------
Holding disk /dumps: 11468 MB disk space available, using 11743224 MB
slot 15: read label `Dailys-15', date `20061020001001'
cannot overwrite active tape Dailys-15
slot 16: read label `Dailys-16', date `20060409004501'
cannot overwrite active tape Dailys-16
slot 17: read label `Dailys-17', date `20060410004501'
cannot overwrite active tape Dailys-17
slot 18: read label `Dailys-18', date `20061001001001'
NOTE: skipping tape-writable test
Tape Dailys-18 label ok
Server check took 1.089 seconds

Amanda Backup Client Hosts Check
--------------------------------
Client check: 2 hosts checked in 0.768 seconds, 0 problems found

(brought to you by Amanda 2.5.1p1-20061019)

I can understand the first reject as that was still last nights tape, but
whats the deal with its rejecting the re-use of the next 2?  I hadn't
noticed that before, and I've not marked any of them as no-reuse, but all
the way back to april?  Wierdsville...

Whats the usual troublehsooting procedure here?

PS, I did a cat of the header file and then edited the reported date/time
into the tapelist entry, reset data to last nights run and reran the
amcheck, its now happy with tape 16 as expected, and in the assumed proper
order.  This has to be a tar screwup, but ISTR that would have to
correspond with the 2 days I ran 1.14 last spring, nothing else makes any
sense at all.

Tar 1.14-1 was to me, an un-mitigated disaster.  But since the cron job of
amcheck only sends me mail if there is a real problem, this crap can go
un-noticed for quite some time if I'm sleeping on the job.

-Ed Howdershelt (Author)
message by Gene Heskett are: