Amanda-Users

RE: tape order

2006-10-18 13:41:27
Subject: RE: tape order
From: "McGraw, Robert P." <rmcgraw AT purdue DOT edu>
To: "Steve Wray" <steve.wray AT cwa.co DOT nz>
Date: Wed, 18 Oct 2006 13:26:59 -0400
This is what I do to keep my tapes in sequence.

Say I have the following tape list.

        20061010200953 D00025 reuse
        20061009201023 D00024 reuse
        0 D00023 reuse
        20061009141704 D00022 reuse
        20061008200944 D00021 reuse

I change the time for D00023 to something in between D00022 and D00024. Such
as

        20061010200953 D00025 reuse
        20061009201023 D00024 reuse
        20061009141904 D00023 reuse
        20061009141704 D00022 reuse
        20061008200944 D00021 reuse

I have several L0 dumps so for me this is not a problem. It is best to do
this as time gets closer to the date you want to change to.

To keep things in order I always run

        sort -r  oldtapelist > new tapelist

The output will be sorted as above. The next tape on my list is always the
bottom tape.

Since I have been running amanda (3 years) my daily tapes have always been
in sequence.

Now my "amadmin config tape" list the correct tapes that will be used next.

There is no rocket science in what I am doing but it works for me.

Robert

Robert P. McGraw, Jr.
Manager, Computer System                 EMAIL: rmcgraw AT purdue DOT edu
Purdue University                         ROOM: MATH-807
Department of Mathematics                PHONE: (765) 494-6055
150 N. University Street                   FAX: (419) 821-0540
West Lafayette, IN 47907-2067