Amanda-Users

Re: tape order

2006-10-17 14:19:03
Subject: Re: tape order
From: Jon LaBadie <jon AT jgcomp DOT com>
To: amanda-users AT amanda DOT org
Date: Tue, 17 Oct 2006 12:56:44 -0400
On Tue, Oct 17, 2006 at 11:44:53AM -0400, Steven Settlemyre wrote:
> I have 24 tapes and a 8 tape changer. For some reason, it is going
> 13->16->15->14->17. How can I fix this? can i just force it to take 14
> after 13 by only having 14 in there when it's expecting 16? My tapecycle
> is 10.

As Michael suggests, your human ordering is VERY likely
to get out of sequence.  Best to forget about it.

If you insist, amanda looks for exact match for the sequence
amanda has been using, new tapes (labeled but never before
by amanda since labeling), and tapes that are not one of
the last tapecycle (minus 1 I think) number of tapes used.

So, if you want it to use tape 14, and it has not been used
in the last tapecycle number of tapes, make sure that no
other tapes in the changer fit the three categories above.

Recognize too that there are probably some level 0 DLE dumps
on tape 14 and will be overwritten early.  The recovery value
of the incrementals on tape 17, etc., that are based on those
level 0's is reduced.

 JG Computing
 4455 Province Line Road        (609) 252-0159
 Princeton, NJ  08540-4322      (609) 683-7220 (fax)