Amanda-Users

Generating ps labels and/or reports

2006-10-03 12:09:19
Subject: Generating ps labels and/or reports
From: "Peter Farrell" <peter.d.farrell AT gmail DOT com>
To: amanda-users AT amanda DOT org
Date: Tue, 3 Oct 2006 16:58:41 +0100
Hi all;

How do you go about generating ps reports and labels?
Attempted via the docs to set it up (I really need labels and would
like ps reports as well)
Tried testing it w/
$ amreport daily -f testing.ascii -l
/usr/local/amanda/etc/daily/logs/amdump.1 -p testing.ps

And every conceivable variation... to no avail...
-f never suppressed the emails, but would give me an output file in ascii.
-p never generated a ps file.
-l all logs given produced 'bogus' no results, nonsense output.

I don't have one server w/ cups running (and no printers in any case)
and I've only ever printed from my linux workstation so I'm a bit
crippled when it comes to cups and lpr generally.
Doesn't lpr only print ascii or ps formatted files in the first place?
It doesn't actually generate them right?
But Amanda uses a template file (ps) to write data into -- then what happens?
I've got no printer configured for any server - and at this point
(assuming I can generate the ps file in the first place) I just want
that new ps file! I'll ps2pdf it and mail it to myself...

I know I'm on the wrong track as I've seen nothing similar in any other forum.

What am I not doing?

I've put the requisite line in my amanda.conf:
---
define tapetype DLT1 {
   comment "DLT1 from amanda list"
   length 34762 mbytes
   filemark 0 kbytes
   speed 2532 kps
   lbl-templ "/usr/local/amanda/etc/daily/DLT.ps"
}

This is pointing to the DLT template included in the src.

What other variables need to be set?
Does cups have to be running as a service?
How does it generate the ps?
How does it use that template to generate the ps?
When it works: WHERE does the output file get saved?

I looked into reporter.c and it looked as though it was calling lpr -
does that mean that you have to set up a postscript printer queue in
cups before it works?

Also: What is the correct syntax for setting an alternate printer?
If you don't want it go to a 'real' printer and only print to *.ps -
do you need an alt.printer for this?
printer='random string?'
printer='path/to/relevance?'
printer='existing cups queue?'

I saw a ref. to this in the amreport man page:
" remap='I'> printer "
What does it mean and where does it go in order to make use of it?

Thoroughly muddled...

-Peter Farrell
Newport, Wales