Amanda-Users

Re: still no backups due to permissions problem in 2.5.1

2006-09-27 14:26:54
Subject: Re: still no backups due to permissions problem in 2.5.1
From: Kevin Till <kevin.till AT zmanda DOT com>
To: Steve Newcomb <srn AT coolheads DOT com>
Date: Wed, 27 Sep 2006 11:18:26 -0700
Steve Newcomb wrote:
Dear Amanda maintainers...

As already noted, my ssh problems are all solved, BUT...

I still have no backups at all, since upgrading to 2.5.1.  The server
creates the directory on the holdingdisk (that directory has a
timestamp as its name), and then Amanda complains that it can't write
anything on it.  Then it deletes that (still empty) directory.

While it lasts, that empty directory is owned by root.  Its
permissions are drwx------.  If it were owned by amanda (my Amanda
user is "amanda"), I suspect I wouldn't be having these problems.  Or if
the permissions included group write/search permissions.

The same kind of problem applies to my tapelist file.  Amanda changes
its permissions, and then it can't read it during the next run.  which
prevents any tapers from doing any useful work.

Does anyone have any ideas about why this is happening?  Is my
amanda.conf file THAT weird?  I'm attaching it herewith.

Hi Steve,

we haven't seen this problem before and I can't see how this could be possible by looking at the Amanda code.

what operating system is the Amanda server running on?
How do you start amdump?
In /tmp/amanda/server/$config directory, could you list the driver.*.debug file. It lists the ruid and euid of the user running the driver process.
Lastly, do "cd /; ls -lR /nobackup/AMANDASPOOL"

--
Thank you!
Kevin Till

Amanda documentation: http://wiki.zmanda.com