Amanda-Users

Re: backup/amflush oddity

2006-09-27 10:14:58
Subject: Re: backup/amflush oddity
From: Joshua Baker-LePain <jlb17 AT duke DOT edu>
To: Jeff Portwine <jdport AT michigandrill DOT com>
Date: Wed, 27 Sep 2006 10:06:33 -0400 (EDT)
On Wed, 27 Sep 2006 at 9:06am, Jeff Portwine wrote

However, I've noticed that every time Amanda doesn't find a writeable tape (usually due to the tape not being changed that day) there is very little data written to the holding disk and the amflush is very very small. The day after this, the dump is much larger than usual compensating for this. When we change the tapes every day, each tape is usually around 50% full. On a day when we forget to change the tape or are unable to change the tape the amflush results in about 0.5% tape useage, and the day following the day we did the amflush tape useage is usually 85-90%. Is this how it's supposed to behave? How can I fix it to do a normal dump to the holding disk on days when either we can't change the tape or we forget to change the tape?

Read up on the 'reserve' parameter in amanda.conf, its default value, and its effects on degraded mode dumps.

--
Joshua Baker-LePain
Department of Biomedical Engineering