Amanda-Users

amrestore with tar empty directories at mountpoints

2006-09-24 15:31:58
Subject: amrestore with tar empty directories at mountpoints
From: Nick Brockner <nbrockne AT hamilton DOT edu>
To: amanda-users AT amanda DOT org
Date: Sun, 24 Sep 2006 14:23:56 -0400
Hi All.

I am new to amanda, and maybe I just don't understand how it works, but here is my problem:

I have a remote machine that I back up over my network. The backups and everything go fine. I am doing a disaster recovery test today, and it went all wrong. Very, very wrong. I have a DLE in disklists for "/" of this remote host. The problem is that on this host, I have several different partitions mounted at /usr, /var/ /home, . . . you get the idea, and when the backup of the "/" DLE happenes, empty directories are created for all the mountpoints! (I am using GNUTAR). So, when I tried to do a bare-metal restore, it clobbered my base install by overwriting all the mountpoints with empty directories, and I couldn't restore the rest of the partitions because the base install was hosed.

Can anyone help me / tell me what to do in order to get tar not to create these empty directories at the other mountpoints?

Thanks,
Nick Brockner