Amanda-Users

How to use 2 tape drives for backup with amanda?

2006-09-24 15:18:36
Subject: How to use 2 tape drives for backup with amanda?
From: Dominik Schips <mail-lists AT s235 DOT de>
To: amanda-users AT amanda DOT org
Date: Sun, 24 Sep 2006 20:38:39 +0200
Hello,

I have changed my hardware setup.
Now I have a Overland PowerLoader with 2 HP Ultrium LTO2 drives.
They are /dev/nst0 (/dev/sg1) and /dev/nst1 (/dev/sg2).
The PowerLoader has a tape changer (/dev/sg3).

The problem is that if I do a amcheck Mybackup I get this error message:

Amanda Tape Server Host Check
-----------------------------
Holding disk /mnt/Holding_Disk: 877071032 KB disk space available,
that's plenty
amcheck-server: could not get changer info: cannot determine first slot

Amanda Backup Client Hosts Check
--------------------------------
Client check: 1 host checked in 0.092 seconds, 0 problems found

How to configure amanda to use the 2 LTO drives for backup?
Which device to use in the amanda.conf or in the CHANGER file?
With one LTO drive everything was working fine with the mtx device driver.

I need a hint to get the "could not get changer info: cannot determine first
slot" error message solved.

Here my amanda.conf:

# a filesystem is due for a full backup once every <dumpcycle> days
dumpcycle 0             # the number of days in the normal dump cycle
#runspercycle 10        # Standard: runspercycle = dumpcycle
tapecycle 100 tapes     # the number of tapes in rotation until it is reused
bumpsize 20 MB          # minimum savings (threshold) to bump level 1 -> 2
bumpdays     1          # minimum days at each level
bumpmult     4          # threshold = bumpsize * (level-1)**bumpmult
ctimeout 60             # amcheck timeout in secs per host
etimeout 300            # amdump planner timeout in secs per filesystem
runtapes 16             # Tapechange if one tape is not enough
inparallel 6           # maximum dumpers that will run in parallel
maxdumps 3              # Default: 1. The maximum number of backups from a
single host that AMANDA will attempt to run in parallel.
taperalgo   largestfit  # Default: first. The algorithm used to choose which
dump image that is available on the holdingdisk to send to the taper.
dumporder   "TtttttttttttttT" # 15 dumps - as many T's as there are dumpers

# Config for OVERLAND PowerLoader Tape Autoloader
tpchanger "chg-zd-mtx" # the tape-changer glue script, see TAPE.CHANGERS
changerdev "/dev/sg2" # tape-changer device
changerfile "/etc/amanda/DailyFull/CHANGER"

And here my CHANGER file:

# Drive) slot number. Default to 0
driveslot=0

# First storeage slot (element) -- required
firstslot=1

# Last storeage slot (element) -- required
lastslot=16

# If a barcode reader is present
havereader=1

# Activate autocleaning