Amanda-Users

Re: balance results

2006-09-20 05:27:38
Subject: Re: balance results
From: Charles Stroom <charles AT stremen.xs4all DOT nl>
To: amanda-users AT amanda DOT org
Date: Wed, 20 Sep 2006 10:50:51 +0200
on  Tue, 19 Sep 2006 17:39:36 EDT
Jon LaBadie <jon AT jgcomp DOT com> wrote:

> On Tue, Sep 19, 2006 at 10:24:39PM +0200, Charles Stroom wrote:
> >

> > > In the above output, that means that you did not
> > > run any amdump on the 4th day of the dumpcycle,
> > > and expects that the next cycle will be the same.
> > >

> > Dumps are done daily in principle, but actually, 3 days ago,
> > many DLEs failed to backup with the
> > FAILED [too many dumper retry: "[request failed: timeout waiting for ACK]"]
> > message.  So, that may be the reason, although it would be a bit
> > odd that because of a failure to do a backup, no backup is scheduled
> > in 7 days.
>
>   "no backup is scheduled in 7 days"
>
> You state that too literally.
>
> Amanda does not schedule the backups, you, the administrator does,
> probably via crontab.
>
> You don't really believe that if you run amdump on that day,
> amanda will refuse to do backups do you?
>
> It is just that there were no level 0's done 7 days before that
> empty date (your dumpcycle) or all were since promoted and done
> again.  Thus there is nothing due to get a level 0 for that date.

Yes, you are right, I did not mean to say that no amdump will run,
but that nothing will be backed up by amdump.  But your email
prompted me to reread the amadmin manpage, and I missed the "full"
in the "balance: Display the distribution of full backups throughout
the dump schedule."

Things have cleared up.

Thanks

Charles