Amanda-Users

Re: got my L9!

2006-09-16 21:17:37
Subject: Re: got my L9!
From: Craig Dewick <cdewick AT lios.apana.org DOT au>
To: Brian Cuttler <brian AT wadsworth DOT org>
Date: Sun, 17 Sep 2006 08:32:49 +1000 (EST)
Hi Brian,

My L9 has an LTO drive, but no, I am not aware that the cables are
any different than LVD or SE. But I could be wrong, my cables came
with the card and drive, all purchased together.

Ok that seems to gel with other people's advice and indeed it works fine with a normal wide-SCSI cable I happened to have lying around (it's a nice Ultraspec cable!). Solaris 9 detected the DLT-8000 drive during the device node rebuilding at boot time.

I found the chg-zd-mtx drivers/glue the correct ones for my site.

Thanks. I'm assuming (if you're using a Sun box as the host for the array) that you're using the 'sgen' driver to allow mtx to communicate with the robotics controller? It's been almost 3 years (!) since I last did anything with Amanda and backups so my brain's probably a bit rusty on getting the software side set up. 8-)

I didn't place a cleaning tape in the L9, the request to clean has
come on so infrequently that it was absolutely not worth it for me
to give up the slot. YMMV.

That might be particular to LTO though - I've heard that DLT drives need to be cleaned regularly and more often than with LTO drives? Anyone able to confirm that?

I was able to compile and install amanda-2.5.1 without a problem on the tape host machine I'm setting up (Sparc 20 with Sbus diff-scsi card running Solaris 9). Later today I'll nut out the config and see if I can get things to start functioning!

Craig.

--
Post by Craig Dewick (tm). Web @ "http://lios.apana.org.au/~cdewick";.
Email 2 "cdewick AT lios.apana.org DOT au". SunShack @ "http://www.sunshack.org";