Amanda-Users

Re: Sun License statements

2006-09-15 11:29:32
Subject: Re: Sun License statements
From: Jon LaBadie <jon AT jgcomp DOT com>
To: amanda-users AT amanda DOT org
Date: Fri, 15 Sep 2006 11:21:20 -0400
On Fri, Sep 15, 2006 at 10:00:51AM -0400, William Baroniunas wrote:
> Hi.
>
> I would like to get some feedback on certain Sun copyright statements
> which can be found in /contrib/sst directory.  These appear to be a
> chunk of example code that someone upstream copied inadvertently.   We
> are currently planning to patch the code out since it seems to be
> Solaris-specific.  The preferred method would be to have the maintainers
> remove the entire directory, and publish the updated packages.
>
> Please let me know if anyone has any comments regarding this issue as it
> may present problems for all of us down the road.
>
> Regards,
> Bill Baroniunas

It seems to be an old predecessor to the current Solaris SCSI Generic
(sgen) drivers.  Circa 1996/97, Solaris 6/7.

I scanned throught the 2.4.4 code and found no indication it is used
by any code there.  It is unlikely sst gets used more in later amanda
releases.

The only things I found were build instructions in the makefiles
and references to it in various docs and examples.

I suspect that early versions of chg-scsi "might" have had code to
use the /dev/{r}sst driver, but don't know that for a fact.  I base
that on the "example/chg-scsi-solaris.conf" file that references
/dev/rsst# as a device.

Anyone else know of any code that uses sst.  Maybe pre-Solaris 8?
Any Solaris sites even have a /dev/{r}sst device file?  Or a
/kernel/drv/sst.conf file?

jl
 JG Computing
 4455 Province Line Road        (609) 252-0159
 Princeton, NJ  08540-4322      (609) 683-7220 (fax)