Amanda-Users

Re: Fixed amcheck, one more question (or two)

2006-09-13 16:29:19
Subject: Re: Fixed amcheck, one more question (or two)
From: Gene Heskett <gene.heskett AT verizon DOT net>
To: amanda-users AT amanda DOT org
Date: Wed, 13 Sep 2006 16:22:59 -0400
On Wednesday 13 September 2006 14:54, up AT 3 DOT am wrote:
>Sorry for all the whining...it turned out the "host down" was the same
>reverse DNS problem that the other amanda client was returning, but since
>the error message was totally different, it baffled.  I hooked the server
>back up to the old network and it worked fine.
>
>2 more minor issues:
>
>I'm getting this:
>
>ERROR: label FULL0 match labelstr but it not listed in the tapelist file.
>       (expecting a new tape)
>
>I thought that amanda would simply create a new tapelist...I deleted the
>old one because it was years old.  Do I need to manually create a new
> one? If so, which dates do I use...I simply created an empty file
> figuring amanda would take care of the rest.

tapelist is created by amlabel.  It is edited by amdump to shuffle the
order as the tapes are used, and may be edited by amcheck as it finds the
next tape to use.

If you deleted it, then I would have dd dump the first 32k of every labeled
tape you have, and add that tapes data in turn to the tapelist with an
editor.  A somewhat lengthy process if you have many tapes.  You want to
wind up with something that resembles this:
20060913001001 Dailys-19 reuse
2147483647 Dailys-17 reuse
2147483647 Dailys-16 reuse
20060912001001 Dailys-18 reuse
20060911001001 Dailys-15 reuse
20060910001001 Dailys-14 reuse
20060909001001 Dailys-13 reuse
20060908001001 Dailys-12 reuse
20060907001002 Dailys-11 reuse
20060906001002 Dailys-10 reuse
20060905001001 Dailys-9 reuse
20060904001001 Dailys-8 reuse
20060903001001 Dailys-7 reuse
20060902001502 Dailys-6 reuse
20060901001501 Dailys-5 reuse
20060831001502 Dailys-4 reuse
20060830001502 Dailys-3 reuse
20060829001500 Dailys-2 reuse
20060828001501 Dailys-1 reuse
20060827 Dailys-21 reuse
20060827 Dailys-20 reuse

Obviously I have a few left yet that do not have the new timestamps.

>Lastly (I hope), is there a way to get amanda to not do host lookups and
>simply use IP addresses in .amandahosts?  For security, I think IP
>addresses would be better.

Sure, but I believe they'll need to be compiled in by putting them in your
configure driver script.  But while I did that in earlier years, I do all
my local resolving now with host files, so I've been using FQDN's for
quite a while now.  As to the differences in security, not much in real
life IMO since all my addresses are local 192.168.x.x addresses anyway.

>Thanks again!
>
>James Smallacombe        PlantageNet, Inc. CEO and Janitor
>up AT 3 DOT am           http://3.am

-Ed Howdershelt (Author)
message by Gene Heskett are: