Amanda-Users

Re: using disk instead of tape

2006-09-02 12:58:40
Subject: Re: using disk instead of tape
From: Paul Bijnens <paul.bijnens AT xplanation DOT com>
To: Phil Howard <phil-amanda-users AT ipal DOT net>
Date: Sat, 02 Sep 2006 18:47:35 +0200
On 2006-09-01 22:21, Phil Howard wrote:
First nit: the subscription greeting for this mailing list said the archives
were at "ftp://ftp.amanda.org/pub/amanda/maillist-archives"; but they are not
there.  I could not find any elsewhere.  So I cannot look at past messages
to see if my question is answered.  It was not answered in the FAQ.

I use these archives:

http://marc.theaimsgroup.com/?l=amanda-users&w=2

What I would like to know is how Amanda handles backup to disk.  I did find
a "file driver".  I'm not sure if that is meant to be the "to disk" method
or not.  It certainly would have some complications, depending on how one
considered disks as equivalent to tapes.

Yes, see:

http://wiki.zmanda.com/index.php/File_driver

[...]
But I don't see any such "disk driver".  And I overlooking something, or is
the "file driver" the only means?  If the latter is true, will AMANDA know
to mount attached disks as filesystems to access the "tape files"?

Amanda will not mount them.  But this is something that can be done
automatically by hal (if using Redhat or similar linux), or some
automounter.

--
Paul Bijnens, xplanation Technology Services        Tel  +32 16 397.511
* I think I've got the hang of it now:  exit, ^D, ^C, ^\, ^Z, ^Q, ^^, *