Amanda-Users

Re: Problems with amanda on Cygwin

2006-09-01 17:14:20
Subject: Re: Problems with amanda on Cygwin
From: rom <amandau AT inventivetechnology DOT at>
To: Nathan Weston <nathan AT genarts DOT com>
Date: Fri, 01 Sep 2006 23:09:22 +0200
Nathan Weston wrote:
Does cygwin inetd write a log file anywhere? I don't see anything in /var/log.
I don't think so.

Anyway I found this on the list. It's a mail from [McGraw, Robert P.]:

The following is from

Corinna Vinschen
Cygwin Project Co-Leader
Red Hat

This is the trouble I am having.

"Btw., when running on 2K3, the SYSTEM user has not enough privileges to
switch the user context w/o password, which will spoil using rsh a
bit...  See the /bin/sshd-host-config script from the openssh package,
which installs not only the sshd serice, but also creates a new user
account called "sshd_server", which has the necessary privileges to do
that.  You could remove the inetd service and recreate it again after
running /bin/sshd-host-config like this:

  cygrunsrv -R inetd
  cygrunsrv -I inetd -u sshd_server -w <sshd_server's password> ..."

So you could try to create a user, add it to the Administrators group and try to delete/add the inetd service this way.

The weird thing is that I have just installed a 2k3 server and the only problem was the security on the /tmp/amanda directory.

Windows things.... Bleeeeeerghhhh...

rom