Amanda-Users

no holding disk & degraded mode

2006-08-21 12:10:21
Subject: no holding disk & degraded mode
From: Cyrille Bollu <Cyrille.Bollu AT fedasil DOT be>
To: Jon LaBadie <jon AT jgcomp DOT com>
Date: Mon, 21 Aug 2006 18:02:06 +0200

Hi Jon,

thank you for your answer. But you didn't answered the more crucial question:

    "Is there something else I have to configure or is this an intended behaviour of Amanda?"

From your answers, I believe that it is an intended behaviour of Amanda. But I don't think it should be.

As you probably know I'm not using the "holding disk" feature because I believe that it would lead to worse performance on my system (my backup server is also the only backup client and has only one logical RAID drive of about 1TB).

If I'm right with this idea, I think that people running a configuration like me should be able to bypass the holding disk during normal operation while keeping the fallback feature it provides in degraded mode.

That's why I think Amanda should use the holding disk in degraded mode even if the dumptype has the option "holdingdisk no".

What do you think? Maybe I could patch one of these days when I have time... :-)

Cyrille