Amanda-Users

Tar creation problem

2006-08-20 19:42:14
Subject: Tar creation problem
From: Gene Heskett <gene.heskett AT verizon DOT net>
To: amanda-users AT amanda DOT org
Date: Sun, 20 Aug 2006 18:20:39 -0400
Greetings;

An experiment in packing up my helper scripts brought on by Geerts
mentioning that I had them earlier today, so I wrote up a README and tried
to just pack the directory, but without the data dir thats applicable to
only my system and which does an x500 to the size of the tarball.

tar-1.13-25.  Then tried tar-1.5-1 with the same result.
cd'd to /,
and this command line

tar -cz --exclude=./config-bak /amanda >Genes-Amanda-Helpers.tar.gz
or
/usr/local/bin/tar -cz --exclude=./config-bak >Genes-Amanda-Helpers.tar.gz

to get tar-1.5-1

Generates a tar.gz that DOES contain the contents of /amanda/config-bak,
thereby multiplying the size of the archive by several hundred times.
Perusing the manpage for tar doesn't seem to tell me what I need to do in
language I can grok.  Can anyone tell me what to do?  Putting dbl-quotes
around "./config-bak" also appears to fail in the same manner, at least
for tar-1.15-1.

-Ed Howdershelt (Author)
message by Gene Heskett are: