Amanda-Users

Re: daily reporting of Amanda and ethernet card questions

2006-08-18 07:13:01
Subject: Re: daily reporting of Amanda and ethernet card questions
From: Charles Stroom <charles AT stremen.xs4all DOT nl>
To: amanda-users AT amanda DOT org
Date: Fri, 18 Aug 2006 11:38:29 +0200
on  Thu, 17 Aug 2006 19:32:29 EDT
Jon LaBadie <jon AT jgcomp DOT com> wrote:

> On Thu, Aug 17, 2006 at 11:15:21PM +0200, Charles Stroom wrote:
> > Hi all,
> >
> > I have recently installed Amanda version 2.5.1b1 on my SuSE 10.0 PC,
> > via an binary rpm.  After some struggling, I start to understand
> > how it works and backups are being made.

> > Another question I have is why I should keep my ethernet card up
> > to run the backup.  My home PC is an Amanda server-client machine,
> > connected to a small home network with an ADSL router and a mail
> > server on an old PC, but the backup is done on this single home PC.
> > But if I bring the ethernet card down, amdump cannot connect to the
> > server and fails.  Of course, as recommended, my .amandahosts does
> > not contain "localhost", but is:
> >
> > corrente.localnet   root amindexd amidxtaped
> > corrente.localnet   amandabackup amdump
> >
> > Should I include "localhost"?
> >

> You only have the amanda server as a client to backup, correct?
> And it will not be on the (a) network all the time.

Correct (at least, for now; later I will add my mail server as well)

> Sounds to me like you have found
> the exception to the rule
> "you shouldn't use localhost".

I changed all occurence of "corrente.localnet" to "localhost" in
.amandahost, disklist and amanda-client.conf, but now amcheck
complains that it cannot connect and times out.

Well, it is not that important, I can live with the situation as
it is.  Thanks anyhow

> --
> Jon H. LaBadie                  jon AT jgcomp DOT com
>  JG Computing
>  4455 Province Line Road        (609) 252-0159
>  Princeton, NJ  08540-4322      (609) 683-7220 (fax)

Charles

email: charles at stremen dot xs4all dot nl