Amanda-Users

Re: Amanda migration from SGI-Irix to Linux

2006-08-11 16:04:48
Subject: Re: Amanda migration from SGI-Irix to Linux
From: Jon LaBadie <jon AT jgcomp DOT com>
To: amanda-users AT amanda DOT org
Date: Fri, 11 Aug 2006 13:11:25 -0400
On Fri, Aug 11, 2006 at 11:52:04AM -0400, Luc Lalonde wrote:
> Hello Folks,
>
> I'm getting this error when I try to use the tapes (LTO1) on a
> StorageTek L40 Jukebox:
>
> st1: Block limits 1 - 16777215 bytes.
> st1: Incorrect block size.
> st1: Incorrect block size.
> scsi(0): Resetting Cmnd=0x000001004a871b00, Handle=0x0000000000000202,
> action=0x2
> scsi(0:1:15:0): Queueing device reset command.
> st1: Error with sense data: Current st1: sense key Not Ready
> Additional sense: Logical unit not ready, cause not reportable
>
> I'm in the process of migrating Amanda from a SGI (Origin 300) server to
> a Linux server.   I'm hoping that I don't have to re-label all my tapes
> and lose the backups created with the old SGI Amanda server.

Guessing only.

Drives can generally use a fixed record (or block) size, set in the
hardware (possibly set by mt), or allow variably sized blocks set by
the writing application software.

Looks like your drive is saying it allows hardware settings from
1 byte to 16M.

Typically variable block size is set by giving a blocksize of zero.

Perhaps your drive does not accept a 0 as meaning variable but
considers it to be a real block size (not very useful ;).

Try using mt (maybe setblk or defsetblk) to set a variable block
size.  Alternatively, amanda typically uses 32kb records, so you
might try setting a default block size of 32768,

 JG Computing
 4455 Province Line Road        (609) 252-0159
 Princeton, NJ  08540-4322      (609) 683-7220 (fax)