Amanda-Users

Re: "failed" dumps still taping

2006-08-04 13:07:51
Subject: Re: "failed" dumps still taping
From: Gene Heskett <gene.heskett AT verizon DOT net>
To: amanda-users AT amanda DOT org
Date: Fri, 04 Aug 2006 13:00:27 -0400
On Friday 04 August 2006 10:30, Jon LaBadie wrote:
>Is it normal for a DLE listed as "failed" under
>"FAILURE AND STRANGE DUMP SUMMARY:" to still be taped?
>
>I'm having different DLE's exhibit failure, perhaps
>three times a week.  Reasons are not always timeout
>like the one shown below.  But one thing struck me
>about most of them, the detailed report for the
>DLE still showed a lot of data dumped and taped;
>in some cases enough to seem to be all that I'd expect.
>
>I don't remember in my old installation having a dump
>fail while in progress, so perhaps I'm seeing normal
>behavior and never experienced it before.
>
>Here is the one from last night.  It is an indirect
>windows client.  But I've had similar results from
>direct Solaris and linux clients too, including the
>amanda host.  I don't think they were all data timeouts,
>but I'd have to go back and check.
>

>FAILURE AND STRANGE DUMP SUMMARY:
>  bigcow  LastChanceC  lev 0  FAILED [data timeout]
>  bigcow  LastChanceC  lev 0  STRANGE
>

>FAILED AND STRANGE DUMP DETAILS:
>
>/--  bigcow LastChanceC lev 0 FAILED [data timeout]
>sendbackup: start [bigcow:LastChanceC level 0]
>? NT_STATUS_SHARING_VIOLATION opening remote file \Documents and ...
>\--------
>

>NOTES:
>  planner: Incremental of bigcow:LastChanceC bumped to level 4.
>  planner: Full dump of bigcow:LastChanceC promoted from 1 day ahead.
>

>DUMP SUMMARY:
>                                    DUMPER STATS          TAPER STATS
>HOSTNAME DISK       L ORIG-MB OUT-MB COMP% MMM:SS   KB/s MMM:SS    KB/s
>------------------- ------------------------------------ --------------
>bigcow   LastChanceC 0   8549   5978  69.9  66:12 1541.1   6:00 16996.6

What version of amanda was signed at the bottom of that msg, Jon?

ATM, I'm also having all sorts of weird goings on with 2.5.1 snapshots, and
I'm rerunning last nights run after re-installing 2.5.0p2 from 20060424
because the 2.5.1 stuff failed totally.  And I had to reboot to get an
amcheck to run, the client on this box wasn't responding after I'd killed
all its processes that had turned into zombies in the night.  The above NT
error doesn't match the ones I'm seeing though, no NT stuffs here, the
gtar's were failing, sometimes en-mass on one machine one night, on the
next machine the next night.  About the only thing consistent was the fact
that it failed. Sometimes they'd run 2-3 random dle's, then die.
Weirdsville.  A rerun is about done, and amstatus says its ok.  I'll hold
this till I get that email to be sure.

Yup, the printed report looks good.

message by Gene Heskett are: