Amanda-Users

Re: suspiciously terrible performance of 2.5.1 beta on OpenBSD/amd64 (now a crash...)

2006-08-04 11:49:14
Subject: Re: suspiciously terrible performance of 2.5.1 beta on OpenBSD/amd64 (now a crash...)
From: David Golden <dgolden AT cp.dias DOT ie>
To: amanda-users AT amanda DOT org
Date: Fri, 4 Aug 2006 16:43:30 +0100
On Wednesday 02 August 2006 16:18, David Golden wrote:

> so switched nearly-2.5.1 to vanilla "bsd" with holding disk in order to
> try another test with nearly-2.5.1 to try to eliminate that as the issue...
> but I can't! Bigger Problems:
> Amanda "driver" process just upped and dumped core - guess I got my wish
> for a crash... Could be entirely unrelated to previous performance problem,
> of course.

FWIW, have filed driver core dump as bug #1534445

However, have also just found that it doesn't _always_ crash. e.g. if there's
only one DLE and it's of type always-full (that uses the holding disk), it
does run:

*** And in that case, dump -> holding disk *is* taking a terribly long time
with 2.5.1b2 compared to 2.4.5p1

While 2.4.5p1 to holdin disk is presumably slowed somewhat for the local
filesystems in question by some shared-spindles headthrashing, dump still
only takes a few minutes at a few MB/sec in 2.4.5p1, 2.5.1b2's sendbackup
dump was saying it was going to take  14-15 hours... for a 10 GB FS with < 2
GB of data ? Argh. Also spotted a zombie gzip process hanging about... and I
don't think indexing is actually working right.

So, anyway, have opened bug #1534629 for the performance issue.