Amanda-Users

suspiciously terrible performance of 2.5.1 beta on OpenBSD/amd64

2006-08-01 08:40:18
Subject: suspiciously terrible performance of 2.5.1 beta on OpenBSD/amd64
From: David Golden <dgolden AT cp.dias DOT ie>
To: amanda-users AT amanda DOT org
Date: Tue, 1 Aug 2006 13:31:22 +0100
As the new security infrastructure seems nice, and as amanda 2.5.x now
pretty much builds on OpenBSD/amd64, I decided to try the bleeding edge.

But I'm getting rather poor performance on local dumps of the server (dump,
no holding disk used, no compression), like 200x slower than it should be.
I've  got to spend a bit more time looking at it I guess, but is
anyone else seeing anything similar? Anything immediately jump to
anyone's mind to look at? (apart from throttling limits in amanda.conf
- I've increased them to absurd levels to no effect.
--enable-buffered-dump doesn't seem to make a difference, either. )

I've yet to test the vanilla "bsd" setting (the main reason to move to
a new amanda version would be to move away from it anyway...), but both
ssh and bsdtcp exhibit the behaviour on loopback.  Also yet to test remote
dumps, it's possible this only happens on loopback. Probably
other OpenBSD system limits and tuning parameters I should check too.

Much easier to debug if it had just broken :-), but doing dumps at
72 kbyte per second instead of 15-20 Mbyte per sec (which system dump achieves
if doing a local dump of the same filesystem direct to LTO2 tape on the
hardware in question) is  annoying: I could understand _some_ network
and ssh overhead, but it seems a bit much, so I'm wondering if there
is an OpenBSD (not known for performance) or amanda problem (race?) at
the networking layer, or some remaining 64-bit problem causing grief
(but apparently not enough to crash amanda).