Amanda-Users

Re: tapetype question

2006-08-01 20:26:59
Subject: Re: tapetype question
From: Mike Delaney <mdelan AT lusars DOT net>
To: amanda-users AT amanda DOT org
Date: Tue, 1 Aug 2006 16:19:08 -0700
On Tue, Aug 01, 2006 at 06:11:50PM -0400, Jon LaBadie wrote:

> On the net I found a suggested entry for LTO2 - I have no idea
> if it is correct or reasonable.
>
> ULTRIUM         = 1, 0x36,  0,  0xd639, 4, 0x00, 0x00, 0x00, 0x40, 3;
>
> This one creates all the 4 of the lettered devices, but note that
> l, m, and h are all the same (0x00).  With this entry, the default,
> unlettered device is 3, matching the "c" and "u" devices.

Strictly speaking, you should only need to add config entries to st.conf
in the event that the drive type isn't already supported by the driver.
LTO2 support has been builtin since sometime in the Solaris 8 release
cycle, so you shouldn't need to do anything in st.conf for these
under Solaris 10.

It does look like the default behavior for LTO drives is to run with
compression on though.  For my LTO1 under Solaris 10u1, both the "n"
and "cn" devices have the same major and minor numbers:

crw-rw-rw-   1 root     sys       33, 284 Apr 26 02:06 /dev/rmt/0cn
crw-rw-rw-   1 root     sys       33, 284 Apr 26 02:06 /dev/rmt/0n

Based on the definition and comments in the driver source[1], it looks
like Robert wants the "hn" device to run the LTO2 without compression.

It would be nice if the st(7d) manpage actually listed and described
the natively supported devices.

[1]
http://cvs.opensolaris.org/source/xref/on/usr/src/uts/common/io/scsi/targets/st_conf.c

    The LTO2 definition starts at line 1145.