Amanda-Users

Many thanks and more questions (amrestore/amfetchdump)

2006-07-28 20:53:20
Subject: Many thanks and more questions (amrestore/amfetchdump)
From: "Ronald Vincent Vazquez" <rvazquez AT ctcministries DOT org>
To: amanda-users AT amanda DOT org
Date: Fri, 28 Jul 2006 17:28:05 -0400 (EDT)
Hello folks:

Let me start by saying that a week ago I commited myself to help in
documenting the creation of a "Amanda Recovery CD" and I still intend to
do it.  As you may all suspect, yes, time...

I also want to take this opportunity to praise the Amanda development team
for a great product.  It is working for us very well at the moment.  ;-)

Now the questions.  As tape spanning is a must for us, will amrestore be
made aware of "dump chunks" or should we use amfetchdump from here on out?
 I have been writing some internal documentation which now needs to be
modified but first wanted to get an idea about the future of amrestore.
How my we now get amanda to show us the contents of a single tape?

The next question has to do with pushing amanda to the limit.  Well,
perhaps someone is doing something similar already.  I was just handed
some "weekend reading" about something one of our developers is working on
and how it will impact our backup strategy.  In my first ever posting to
this list I posted a question about backing up 4 TB from many different
sources.  Today that number changed drastically.  Our production cluster
will end up with a network shared volume of 14 TB of space.  How will we
be doing this?  Will it ever be 100% full?  I don't know that answers to
those questions yet.

The next questions are, how will amanda back up a single volume exceeding
5 TB (10-14 TB) and how long will it take to write it to tape?  Should we
be asking an average of how long does amanda takes to collect and write 1
TB of data to tape and multiply by X?  Ok, let say that our volume grows
to 10 TB, how long would the cycle have to be to perform a level 0 of this
bad boy?

Have a great weekend everyone,

Ronald Vincent Vazquez
Senior Unix Systems Administrator
Senior Network Manager
Christ Tabernacle Church Ministries
http://www.ctcministries.org
(240) 401-9192 Cell

For web hosting solutions, please visit:
http://www.spherenix.com/