Amanda-Users

Re: Server side compression

2006-07-28 15:22:09
Subject: Re: Server side compression
From: Gene Heskett <gene.heskett AT verizon DOT net>
To: amanda-users AT amanda DOT org
Date: Fri, 28 Jul 2006 15:15:36 -0400
On Friday 28 July 2006 14:25, Alan Pearson wrote:
>I think I've run into another problem indirectly realted to my earlier
>issues.
>
>I've been trying in vein to get a Level 0 dump of the  machine onto tape.
>
>I've told amanda to use SERVER compression, but unfortunatley, amanda
>planner seem to take the estimates from the client without compression
>when calculating what it can fit on tape.
>
>So in reality, if I go over the uncompressed size of the tape as defined
>in tape type, then this will never get to tape, even though it may fit on
>after compression.
>
>This is at the planner stage, so Amanda doesn't even dump the system to
>disk to see what size it really is.
>
>Anybody any idea how to get round this one ?

Time to make its history maybe.  Amanda keeps track of the compression
achieved on a given DLE, and uses that historical figure to estimate the
new backup being contemplated.  And without any history, probably assumes
a zero for compression effectiveness.  Here, for relatively stable DLE's,
it can get very very accurate after a few weeks.

>Cheers,

message by Gene Heskett are: