Amanda-Users

Dump level reversal

2006-07-27 14:44:10
Subject: Dump level reversal
From: Jon LaBadie <jon AT jgcomp DOT com>
To: amanda-users AT amanda DOT org
Date: Thu, 27 Jul 2006 14:34:52 -0400
The discussion of dump levels has me considering changing
my setup.  The goal would be to have backups covering a
longer period than 1 month, say 2 months.  But using the
same vtape storage space.

Nominally if I double the number of vtapes (40 -> 80 with
reduced size) and the dumpcycle (7 days -> 14 days) that
would do it.

Typically my daily incrementals are only 10% or less than
my level 0's and my vtapes are 60-70% full.

Such an arrangement would still have me storing the same
number of dumpcycles, about 4 - 5.  But they would cover
a longer period.

Tape spanning is on and runtapes is > 1 for the
occassional larger than normal amdump.

I think I would keep bumpdays at 2 to ensure I have at
least two copies of any changed file.

Anyone see a problem with that scenario?

Related to my thinking about the above change is a question
about dump levels.  Aside from promotion to level 0, does
amanda ever reverse the sequence of dump levels, say going
from 4 back to 3 or 2 or 1?  Or is it always changing
monotonically down.

 JG Computing
 4455 Province Line Road        (609) 252-0159
 Princeton, NJ  08540-4322      (609) 683-7220 (fax)