Amanda-Users

Re: tapestatus file growing huge

2006-07-21 19:12:00
Subject: Re: tapestatus file growing huge
From: Gene Heskett <gene.heskett AT verizon DOT net>
To: amanda-users AT amanda DOT org
Date: Fri, 21 Jul 2006 18:06:55 -0400
On Friday 21 July 2006 11:29, Jon LaBadie wrote:
>On Fri, Jul 21, 2006 at 04:17:37PM +0100, Rodrigo Ventura wrote:
>> On Friday 21 July 2006 15:58, Gene Heskett wrote:
>> > I'm just as puzzled, I now have the latest 2.5.1p1-20060719
>> > installed and I have no such file either.
>> >
>> > Would the OP please supply the full path to this file?
>>
>> The filename is tapestatus and is created in the config directory
>> (e.g., where amanda.conf resides).
>>
>> The bin responsible for it is chg-scsi. It grows in size in an
>> amazing speed...
>>
>> The changer.conf file contains the line:
>> tapestatus      /var/amanda/ISR/tapestatus # here will some status
>> infos be stored
>>
>> so that's where the filename comes from. The file seems to be opened
>> and filled in scsi-changer-driver.c (lines 4558 and 4696 onwards).
>
>>>From the low volume of comments about chg-scsi on this list
>it seems few sites are using that changer.  Thus our unfamiliarity
>with its config and log files.  Sorry.

I used it back when I had those %$# seagate 4586n's, which would have
put the amanda version running someplace in the 2.4.3-4 area.  I don't
recall that file ever being more than 2 bytes long, and it pointed at
the slot the tape presently loaded came from IIRC.

>Of course, as few people post to the list except with problems,
>maybe the low volume speaks to the reliability of chg-scsi.

It don't think it has that "r" word in its vocabulary from my
experience.  One of the reasons, not the strongest one, but certainly a
consideration in abandoning it in favor of vtapes, was its refusal to
issue a rewind before reading a tapes label block.  Smartest move I
ever made, my amanda troubles have shrunk to less than 1% of their
former frequency.  I think then even, that I was the only one useing
chg-scsi in this lists membership, so my questions about it also went
unanswered.  I looked at the code to see if I might stumble over a way
to fix it, but after a week of trying to understand that bowl of
cooked, well stirred spagetti, I gave up.  I can't offer positive
assistance, my apologies.

message by Gene Heskett are: