Amanda-Users

Re: A script to test GNU tar exclude patterns

2006-07-20 00:45:16
Subject: Re: A script to test GNU tar exclude patterns
From: Gene Heskett <gene.heskett AT verizon DOT net>
To: amanda-users AT amanda DOT org
Date: Thu, 20 Jul 2006 00:35:08 -0400
On Thursday 20 July 2006 00:14, Olivier Nicole wrote:

>> http://lists.gnu.org/archive/html/bug-tar/2006-06/msg00001.html
>
>Reading the changelog for GNU tar 1.15.91 is even more frightening, it
>does not affect only the exclude file, but it does affect the extract
>command: tar xf foo.tar *.c now means to extract the file name "*.c",
>not all the files ending with .c

Yikes!  I assume thats been filed as a bug?  If not, why not?

>How would amrestore react?
>
>For safety, one should not use tar 1.15.91 right now I guess.

No guessing about it Olivier.

I sometimes wonder why, when a utility such as tar, which can be said to
be a mature utility now after what, 30-35 years, is still being diddled
with, and diddled is exactly the word I intended to use.  Mature code
that everyone KNOWS how it works, should NOT be the subject of endless
experimentation such as we've seen take place over the last 4-5 years.

Above all else, backwards compatibility should be maintained, and its
been broken at least twice in that time frame by 1.12 and 1.14.
Incomprehensible...

>Olivier

message by Gene Heskett are: