Amanda-Users

RE: bygwin amanda client behind firewall.

2006-07-14 15:16:31
Subject: RE: bygwin amanda client behind firewall.
From: "McGraw, Robert P." <rmcgraw AT purdue DOT edu>
To: <amanda-users AT amanda DOT org>
Date: Fri, 14 Jul 2006 15:10:34 -0400
Well I am getting a little closer.

My cygwin client is a Window2003 server.

When I do a amcheck from the amanda server to the cygwin client behind the
firewall I now get the following in the events log on the cygwin client.

"....The following information is part of the event: inetd: PID 2280:
amanda: can't set uid 18: Permission denied.....

"...The following information is part of the event: inetd: PID 2764:
/local/Amanda/amanda-2.4.5p1/libexec/amandad: exit status 0x100."

So now I am at least getting to the inetd service.

The following are some things that I have done to tray an track down why
amanda can't set uid 18:

1) I have run /local/Amanda/amanda-2.4.5p1/libexec/amandad manually and it
times out after 30 seconds.

>From the amandad.debug when run manually.

amandad: time 30.000: dgram_recv: timeout after 30 seconds
amandad: error receiving message: timeout
amandad: time 30.000: error receiving message: timeout
amandad: time 30.000: pid 2276 finish time Fri Jul 14 10:31:47 2006

2) I have compared my Window2003 system with a working WinXP client that
works. I compared the /tmp/amanda, /etc/amandate, /local/..../var/gunlist-tar,
services, ineted.conf, .amandahosts, /etc/passwd, to make sure the permissions
and owner are the same.

I can telnet from the server to the client and I can make a connection so I
believe inetd is work.

3) I have looked in the /var/log/inetd.log. No messages.

4) There are no messages in /tmp/amanda.

5) I have recompiled amanda.

6) This is my inetd.conf amanda entry.

amanda  dgram   udp     wait    SYSTEM
/local/Amanda/amanda-2.4.5p1/libexec/amandadamandadDo you see anything wrong.

I realize that this is probably a cygwin news group question but just want to
ask it anyone else had this problem on a Window2003 client. Do you have any
other ideas on where to look for error messages or how to glean error messages
from this run?

Robert P. McGraw, Jr.
Manager, Computer System                 EMAIL: rmcgraw AT purdue DOT edu
Purdue University                         ROOM: MATH-807
Department of Mathematics                PHONE: (765) 494-6055
150 N. University Street                   FAX: (419) 821-0540
West Lafayette, IN 47907-2067