Amanda-Users

Re: Dealing more gracefully with tape overruns

2006-07-14 03:44:08
Subject: Re: Dealing more gracefully with tape overruns
From: Paul Bijnens <paul.bijnens AT xplanation DOT com>
To: amanda-users AT amanda DOT org
Date: Fri, 14 Jul 2006 09:38:17 +0200

 On Wed, Jul 12, 2006 at 04:30:12PM +0200, Ronan KERYELL wrote:
If not, what about adding a new strategy with a mode such as:
dump-on-holding-disk-if-degraded-mode yes
Should not be to difficult to implement.

For this there is the "maxdumpsize 1g", together with "reserve 0".
(use appropriate numbers for your config).

I will try also to play with the reserve keyword next night with, for
example, reserve 50 % for full backups.

        reserve  number
                Default:  100.  The  part  of holding-disk  space  that
                should be  reserved for incremental backups  if no tape
                is  available,   expressed  as  a   percentage  of  the
                available holding-disk space  (0-100). By default, when
                there   is  no   tape  to   write  to,   degraded  mode
                (incremental) backups will  be performed to the holding
                disk. If  full backups should  also be allowed  in this
                case,  the amount  of holding  disk space  reserved for
                incrementals should be lowered.

But if it works, why this static allocation between incremental and full
backups?

Note that the "reserve" parameter comes only into play when there is
tape problem.  There is no "static" allocation.
In the planning phase, Amanda creates a schedule to dump DLE's that
is limited by the amount specified in maxdumpsize or available tape,
if omited.  It also generates a "plan B" for use by the driver, that
is used when there suddenly is a tapeproblem.  When the driver notices
there is a tape problem, it switches to degraded mode and uses that
plan B:  it will replace some full dumps with incrementals instead.
Only in that case, a part of the holdingdisk is reserved for
incrementals only  (specified by the "reserve" parameter).

Another approach: what about also a mode with runtapes > 1 without any
changer, assuming that the user will use amflush later?

I have run such a config for a few years, until I bought a bigger
tape drive.   I had a config with two external tapes, configured
as a "changer" with chg-multi.  The archive backups in the weekend
actually needed 4 tapes (sometimes even 5).

I had just set "maxdumpsize" equivalent to the volume of 5 tapes
and had "reserve 0" (nothing reserved for incrementals only), and
a big holdingdisk.

Two tapes were online, and were filled during the run.  The rest of
the data was kept on the large holdingdisk, and when I came in on
monday morning, I just inserted the next two tapes and ran amflush.
Sometimes I had to flush even once again to a 5 or 6th tape (the
tapedrives were aging, and gave IO-errors now and then).

--
Paul Bijnens, xplanation Technology Services        Tel  +32 16 397.511
* I think I've got the hang of it now:  exit, ^D, ^C, ^\, ^Z, ^Q, ^^, *