Amanda-Users

Re: Amanda cygwin client behind a firewall

2006-07-13 23:15:40
Subject: Re: Amanda cygwin client behind a firewall
From: Olivier Nicole <on AT cs.ait.ac DOT th>
To: rmcgraw AT purdue DOT edu
Date: Fri, 14 Jul 2006 10:09:22 +0700 (ICT)
> Is anyone else  backuping up an amanda cygwin client, where the cygwin
> client sits behind a firewall and the server sits on the outside of the
> firewall?

It does not make any difference if your client is cygwin or any other
flavor of Unix.

You would have to adapt what you call inside and outside, but here
what I have open on my firewall:

UDP from server to client port=10080

UDP from client port=10080 to server (because there may be a VERY long
time between the server request and the client response, and the
firewall table would expire before the response is sent; this rule is
the oposite of the previous one).

TCP from server to client (on any port, because the client will inform
the server of the specific ports it wants to use at each run. There is
a module in iptable/ipchain to manage that, there is a way to restric
the list of ports being used and then the list of ports to keep
open. In my case the firewall is protecting the server, so opening
outgoing ports is not so much an issue.)

TCP from client to server port=10082
TCP from client to server port=10083 (for indexing purpose? or for
amrestore to access the index server?)

Bests,

Olivier