Amanda-Users

Re: amrecover failures

2006-07-10 11:40:50
Subject: Re: amrecover failures
From: Frank Smith <fsmith AT hoovers DOT com>
To: Jerlique Bahn <jerlique AT webscene.com DOT au>
Date: Mon, 10 Jul 2006 10:34:59 -0500
Jerlique Bahn wrote:
> Hello,
>
> I have recently configured Amanda to backup our data.  I am now trying to
> restore some of the data that I have backed up, and I am having problems
> doing so.  The client and server are the same machine. I have chg-manual
> configured so that the first and last slot are both 1. I am running
> amrecover as root. I am guessing that its because the changer think that it
> needs a different tape, but I cannot work out why.
>
> Any suggestions?
>
> amrecover> [cut]
> amrecover> extract
>
> Extracting files using tape drive /dev/nsa0 on host 10.0.0.2.
> The following tapes are needed: backup-1
>                                 backup-5
>
> Restoring files into directory /usr/recover
> Continue [?/Y/n]? Y
>
> Extracting files using tape drive /dev/nsa0 on host 10.0.0.2.
> Load tape backup-1 now
> Continue [?/Y/n/s/t]? Y
> EOF, check amidxtaped.<timestamp>.debug file on 10.0.0.2.
> amrecover: short block 0 bytes
> UNKNOWN file
> amrecover: Can't read file header
> extract_list - child returned non-zero status: 1
> Continue [?/Y/n/r]?
>
> # ammt -f /dev/nsa0 status
> /dev/nsa0 status: ONLINE ds == 0x0001 er == 0x0000
>
> # amtape backup reset
> changer: got exit: 0 str: 1 /dev/nsa0
> amtape: changer is reset, slot 1 is loaded.
>

> ## this is from /tmp/Amanda/amidxtaped....
> Looking for tape backup-1...
> changer: got exit: 0 str: 0 1 1
> changer_query: changer return was 1 1
> changer_query: searchable = 0
> changer_find: looking for backup-1 changer is searchable = 0
> changer: got exit: 2 str: /usr/local/amanda/libexec/chg-manual: cannot
> create /dev/tty: Device not configured

I'm not very familiar with the chg-manual script, but as a wild guess
you might have the wrong console device specified for your OS.

> amidxtaped: could not load slot /usr/local/amanda/libexec/chg-manual::
> cannot create /dev/tty: Device not configured
> amidxtaped: time 0.186: could not load slot
> /usr/local/amanda/libexec/chg-manual:: cannot create /dev/tty: Device not
> configu
> red
> amidxtaped: time 0.186: pid 5948 finish time Mon Jul 10 23:01:39 2006
>

> ## This is from the changer.debug
> MT -> /usr/local/amanda/sbin/ammt -f
> DD -> /usr/local/amanda/sbin/amdd
> Args -> -slot next
>      -> rewind /dev/nsa0
> /dev/nsa0 rewind failed: Permission denied

Looks like this is your main problem, you don't have permissions to
the tape drive.  Odd, since you say you are running amrecover as
root.  Is the tape actually loaded in the drive?  Can you (from the
command line) run 'mt -f /dev/nsa0 rewind' successfully?

Frank

--
Frank Smith                                      fsmith AT hoovers DOT com
Sr. Systems Administrator                       Voice: 512-374-4673