Amanda-Users

Re: Delay puting to Tape/using less tapes

2006-06-28 12:15:22
Subject: Re: Delay puting to Tape/using less tapes
From: Frank Smith <fsmith AT hoovers DOT com>
To: Luis Rodrigues <luis AT ess.co DOT at>
Date: Wed, 28 Jun 2006 11:08:48 -0500
Luis Rodrigues wrote:
> Hello,
>
> I have a nice amanda system configured with a 7 days dump cyles (5 runs per
> cicle).
> We usually use a tape each day, so that means we need 20 tapes per month.
>
> My boss just decided that we are using to mutch tapes so we wants me to cut
> on that number.
> He wants to use only use 3/4 tapes per week, but he still wants the daily
> incrementals.

If you already have 20 tapes, how does this save tape?  Or are you archiving
every tape you use?  If so, perhaps you could make a separate archive config
that you run weekly or monthly and save those tapes, but continue to cycle
through the same set of 20 for the daily config.

> So I would like to do incremental every day to disk, then after 2 days put on
> tape.
>
> I know amanda is not supost to handle this and I know I could always remove
> the tape every other day
> and amanda fails the tape operation.
>
> Does anyone have a clean solution for using less tapes?

If you have sufficient holding disk space, just don't insert a tape a couple of
times per week.  If you set 'autoflush yes' in your config it will write
whatever
is in your holding disk to tape when amanda runs and a tape is available.

Frank

--
Frank Smith                                      fsmith AT hoovers DOT com
Sr. Systems Administrator                       Voice: 512-374-4673