Amanda-Users

Re: spindle number check

2006-06-28 05:11:39
Subject: Re: spindle number check
From: Paul Bijnens <paul.bijnens AT xplanation DOT com>
To: amanda-users AT amanda DOT org
Date: Wed, 28 Jun 2006 10:30:38 +0200
On 2006-06-27 18:48, Jon LaBadie wrote:

I "think" I know the answer, but just to confirm ...

Are spindle numbers in the disklist tied to the host names?

Yes they are.

The combination {hostname, spindlenumber} is what matters.
Within the same client Amanda will not start a second dump (if
allowed by maxdumps) on a DLE that has the same spindlenumber
as one that is already running.

Note that Amanda will only need to consider spindle numbers
when you have maxdumps>1.

I.e.  is HostA (Spindle 9) considered the same, or different
spindle, as HostB (Spindle 9).

Different.

I can think of two scenarios where it would matter,

 - with a huge disklist it would be easier to manage spindle
   numbers on a host by host basis rather than across the
   entire disklist

It is.

 - when different direct clients are providing access to the
   same indirect client (nfs or samba) then spindle numbers
   tied to the direct client host name are ineffective

Indeed.  In that case you better let only one indirect client
manage one host. You can have many direct clients, each handling
several indirect clients (nfs or samba), but avoid spreading
the indirect client over two or more direct clients where it matters.

One reason to use more direct clients to backup one indirect client
is where you have a superfast NFS-storage connected to many "direct"
clients over a gigabit ethernet, but you want to do software
compression too (maybe even bzip).  Then the bottleneck will be CPU
and not NFS disk access.  In that case you can spread the load over
a few direct clients, each accessing a part of the superfast
NFS storage.

--
Paul Bijnens, xplanation Technology Services        Tel  +32 16 397.511
* I think I've got the hang of it now:  exit, ^D, ^C, ^\, ^Z, ^Q, ^^, *