Amanda-Users

Re: using amanda work

2006-06-27 10:17:29
Subject: Re: using amanda work
From: Brian Cuttler <brian AT wadsworth DOT org>
To: Jon LaBadie <jon AT jgcomp DOT com>, amanda-users AT amanda DOT org, Chris Knight <knight AT wadsworth DOT org>
Date: Tue, 27 Jun 2006 10:09:05 -0400
Jon,
Stefan,

yup, fixing the execute access in the directory path seems to have
fixed the problem, I'm not only far ahead of where I was yesterday
but I have a file in work waiting to flush (I do still need more
work area as I'm currently dumping something direct to tape) but I
can see that my dumpers took turns being busy.

holding space   :  25985401k ( 37.27%)
 dumper0 busy   :  5:00:35  ( 42.43%)
 dumper1 busy   :  0:25:27  (  3.59%)
 dumper2 busy   :  0:04:58  (  0.70%)
 dumper3 busy   :  0:53:23  (  7.54%)
 dumper4 busy   :  0:10:39  (  1.50%)
 dumper5 busy   :  0:30:10  (  4.26%)
 dumper6 busy   :  0:02:27  (  0.35%)
 dumper7 busy   :  0:11:12  (  1.58%)

They show really uneven usage but they where all utilized, a shame
that I didn't preserve a complete amstatus output from one of the
previous days.

It maybe that I'm running an older version 2.4.2, but I haven't seen
anything in the /tmp/amanda output, the amcheck nor the amstatus that
would have made the fact that /amanda/work was unavailable explicite
in any way -- which is not to say that we didn't do something really
stupid that would have caused any utility mis-function.

I currently have about 42Gig of free space with a DLE waiting to flush
and another DLE writing directly to the tape. When the current one
finishes the flush will begin, but will the last DLE, not yet started
wait for the holding space or will it try to start a direct to tape ?
Since its the last for the day it probably doesn't matter all that much
from the "when will we be done" perspective, but from the wear and tear
on the tape drive issue it does.

Now to see about adding more work area... rebuild the device table
(manually) to allow for more drives in the fiber array, then get a
reboot scheduled (its a key system, so this will be fun to schedule).

                                                thank you,

                                                Brian

On Mon, Jun 26, 2006 at 01:29:02PM -0400, Brian Cuttler wrote:
> Jon,
> Stefan,
>
> Suddenly...
>
> > cd /amanda/
> > ls -l
> total 46344
> drw-rw-r--   2 root     root        8192 May 22 14:31 lost+found
> drwxr-sr-x   7 root     staff        512 Aug 22  2005 restore
> -rw-r--r--   1 root     other    20497920 Jun 19 11:34 trimble-level0.tar
> -rw-r--r--   1 root     other    3175936 Jun 19 11:34 trimble-level1.tar
> drw-rw-r--   2 amanda   sys          512 May  5 02:27 work
> drw-rw-r--   2 amanda   sys          512 Apr 12 09:22 workl
> drw-rw-r--   2 amanda   sys          512 Apr 11 05:08 workr
>
> Now that isn't right... It used to be right... I don't know what
> happened here.
>
> Lets try this.
>
> # chmod 770 work*
>
> Lets see what tomorrow brings.
>

> On Mon, Jun 26, 2006 at 12:12:24PM -0400, Jon LaBadie wrote:
> > On Mon, Jun 26, 2006 at 11:29:07AM -0400, Brian Cuttler wrote:
> > > Jon,

> > Brian,
> >
> > I've set three of my DLE's to "holdingdisk no".
> >
> > Not sure that will show anything different in the log and
> > debug files, but I'll check after tonights run.
> >
> > --
> > Jon H. LaBadie                  jon AT jgcomp DOT com
> >  JG Computing
> >  4455 Province Line Road        (609) 252-0159
> >  Princeton, NJ  08540-4322      (609) 683-7220 (fax)
> ---
>    Brian R Cuttler                 brian.cuttler AT wadsworth DOT org
>    Computer Systems Support        (v) 518 486-1697
>    Wadsworth Center                (f) 518 473-6384
>    NYS Department of Health        Help Desk 518 473-0773

---
   Brian R Cuttler                 brian.cuttler AT wadsworth DOT org