Amanda-Users

Re: using amanda work

2006-06-26 12:09:55
Subject: Re: using amanda work
From: Jon LaBadie <jon AT jgcomp DOT com>
To: amanda-users AT amanda DOT org
Date: Mon, 26 Jun 2006 11:01:51 -0400
On Mon, Jun 26, 2006 at 10:39:26AM -0400, Brian Cuttler wrote:

> Jon,
>
> I'm sorry, I am still doing something wrong and need additional guideance.
>
> It is apparently that I am still not utilizing the work area and need
> to know which switch I set wrong, dispite (I'd thought) following your
> reply email.
>
> Dump time is still equal to tape time, a good indication that I'm not
> using the work area.
>
> First, Solaris 9 with Amanda 2.4.4
>
> I have changed the "reserve" parameter from commented out (prior to
> the friday night run) to 30, and this morning, lowered it to 10. This
> I had thought was the cuprit.
>
> > grep reserve amanda.conf
> reserve 10 # percent
>
> holdingdisk hd1 {
>     comment "main holding disk"
>     directory "/amanda/work"    # where the holding disk is
>     use 70 Gb           # how much space can we use on it
>                         # a non-positive value means:
>                         #        use all space but that value
>     chunksize 1Gb       # size of chunk if you want big dump to be
>                         # dumped on multiple files on holding disks
>                         #  N Kb/Mb/Gb split images in chunks of size N
>                         #             The maximum value should be
>                         #             (MAX_FILE_SIZE - 1Mb)
>                         #  0          same as INT_MAX bytes
>     }
>
> I do not believe holdingdisk is set to no in the dumptype.

amadmin has a command, I think disklist, which can be used to
print out many of the dump parameters for a single (or multiple)
DLE's.  This would be after the parsing of amanda.conf and all
the included dumptypes.  I'm pretty sure "holding disk yes/no"
is among those printed.

I don't recall, is your DLE small enough to fit the available
holding disk space.  Not your 70 GB, but actual available
space (df <holding disk> cmd or 70GB (which ever is smaller)
minus whatever is stored under <holding disk> finally multiplied
by percent unreserved.

amcheck is seeing your holding disks, right?

Maybe someone can tell us the actual lines in log or debugging
files that would say why amanda selects direct to tape.

 JG Computing
 4455 Province Line Road        (609) 252-0159
 Princeton, NJ  08540-4322      (609) 683-7220 (fax)