Amanda-Users

Re: Amanda on any of the Linux live CDs?

2006-06-25 06:07:53
Subject: Re: Amanda on any of the Linux live CDs?
From: Geert Uytterhoeven <geert AT linux-m68k DOT org>
To: Ross Vandegrift <ross AT kallisti DOT us>
Date: Sun, 25 Jun 2006 11:57:30 +0200 (CEST)
On Sat, 24 Jun 2006, Ross Vandegrift wrote:
> On Fri, Jun 23, 2006 at 01:45:10PM -0500, Frank Smith wrote:
> > > I will start my own research this weekend but just in case anyone has done
> > > it, I will ask.  Do any of the Linux live CDs have amanda installed?
> >
> > It's on the Knoppix live DVD, but not the CD version.
>
> This is correct, but remember that Knoppix has a working apt-get
> configuration.  All you need to do is run "apt-get update && apt-get
> install amanda-client amanda-server" and you've got it.  Makes for a
> great recovery environment.

Yep. When my disk died earlier this year, I booted an Ubuntu Live CD, pointed
/etc/apt/sources.list to a Debian mirror, and apt-get installed amanda.

The only problem I had was that some uids and gids on the Live CD differed from
my actual system, so some files ended up having wrong owners.

Gr{oetje,eeting}s,

                                                Geert

--
Geert Uytterhoeven -- There's lots of Linux beyond ia32 -- geert AT linux-m68k
DOT org

                                                            -- Linus Torvalds