Amanda-Users

Re: Question about amanda client

2006-06-23 13:55:08
Subject: Re: Question about amanda client
From: Charles Curley <charlescurley AT charlescurley DOT com>
To: amanda-users AT amanda DOT org
Date: Fri, 23 Jun 2006 11:50:00 -0600
On Fri, Jun 23, 2006 at 12:43:50PM -0400, Jon LaBadie wrote:
> On Fri, Jun 23, 2006 at 12:09:20PM -0400, Ronald Vincent Vazquez wrote:
> > Hello list:
> >
> > Here is the scenario.  Let say that the server that gets destroyed is the
> > tape server itself and we need a "bare metal" recovery.  Now, we are
> > thinking about creating a "server restore" cd together which will have the
> > amanda client in it (and needed drivers).
> >
> > Question, would it be posible for the amanda client to access and drive
> > the tape changer for the restoration?  Yes?  No?  If the answer to the
> > question is yes/no, what are other alternatives to restore the backup
> > server?  Would I have to install the *complete* amanda suite for this
> > purpose?
> >

> The short (and traditional) answer is you don't need any amanda at all
> to do a recovery.  The data on the tape is structured in a very simple
> way such that standard tools like mt, dd, tar/dump, gzip, etc. can
> retrieve the data.

Note that if you back up to hard drive, you have to play some games
with dd to change the files on the hard drive into the tarballs. I've
forgotten exactly how to do that, but it isn't hard. Figure it out
now, before you need it, though. Is it documented anywhere?

> What you would lack is the niceties, which tape holds the backup you want,
> which file on that tape, how was the backup created (dump or tar, compressed
> or not, encrypted or not), ...  Without the logs and indexes even with an
> amanda installation you would not have most of that.
>
> Having amrestore, which doesn't use the logs/indexes, might help though.
> Given a host or DLE, it will scan the tape retrieving any that match.
>
> Anyone else feel other amanda commands would be helpful in a lost server
> situation?

You could prepare a bare metal restore that included Amanda data and
programs in its first level restoration. I haven't done this for
Amanda (yet), but it should be more tedious than difficult, especially
if you use something roomy like a DVD for your first stage backup.

You would need the executables, and your installation package
(tarball, rpm package, etc.) will tell you that. You also need the
configuration data, in /etc (which I trust your bare metal recovery
backup is already grabbing), and the backup metadata, the location of
which is specified in amanda.conf. Anything else?

http://www.charlescurley.com/Linux-Complete-Backup-and-Recovery-HOWTO.html