Amanda-Users

Re: Regarding the source code hierarchy

2006-06-23 12:05:48
Subject: Re: Regarding the source code hierarchy
From: "Paddy Sreenivasan" <paddy AT zmanda DOT com>
To: "silpa kala" <silpakala AT yahoo DOT com>
Date: Fri, 23 Jun 2006 08:59:28 -0700
There is a diagram in the Amanda wiki that
shows how backup process works in Amanda.
http://wiki.zmanda.com/index.php/Software_architecture

There is information on how the ports used during backup
process (bsd authentication). See
http://wiki.zmanda.com/index.php/TCP/UDP_ports

Reading
Thanks,
Paddy

On 6/23/06, silpa kala <silpakala AT yahoo DOT com> wrote:
Hi,

I am silpakala. I need one help. I want to understand
the basic flow of amanda i.e.,
a. Planner explains about the configuration stuff.
b. driver acts as an interface between the planner and
dumper/taper. I understood that they are using the
socket communication between the planner and dumper.
Why it is required.
c. Suppose the taper is taking the data from the
holding disk to tape. Here Whether the socket
communication is required between the dumper and
taper.
d. What is the noop request.
e.Amandad service is connecting to the specific port
10080 in the client side. But the server side which
module is directly interacting with the client.

Basically i need socket communication between the
client and server, where exactly the client is
blocking to accept the server connection, Which server
module is connecting to which client module, Why the
dumper and taper executables are going into
/usr/local/libexec (client-specific) directory.
Mainly how the sockets are implemented.

Suppose if i want to take the backup for the server
itself then the socket connection is used for amanda.
Is there any way we can elimintate the sockets if we
want to take the backup only for the server.

please provide the details. Please help me out in
this.

Thank you very much.

Regards,
Silpakala