Amanda-Users

Re: strange dump sizes -- SOLVED!!

2006-06-10 09:42:30
Subject: Re: strange dump sizes -- SOLVED!!
From: Jon LaBadie <jon AT jgcomp DOT com>
To: Jon LaBadie <amanda-users AT amanda DOT org>
Date: Sat, 10 Jun 2006 09:31:10 -0400
On Fri, Jun 02, 2006 at 01:39:08PM -0400, Jon LaBadie wrote:
> I'm getting dumps that are the same size regardless
> of dump level.  Happening on all clients, all DLEs.
> The file's timestamps (mtime and ctime) and inode nums
> are not changing, which could cause them to appear in
> incremental dumps.
>
> I'm stumped, anyone experience this before?
>
> Some other queries,
>
> In my gnutar-lists directory, all the files are named
> "xxx.new".  Looking at an abandoned installation on
> another server, most of the files have the ".new"
> stripped off.  How should the files appear?

Since we did not come up with a solution I've been using
a workaround of manually renameing all the gnutar-list files
after each nightly amdump.

But Cyrille Bollu came up with the solution.

Cyrille was having the same problem as I was and researched
thoroughly the list archives at marc.theaimsgroup.com and
found the same problem back in 2002.  The solution then
was not the same (that user was modifying ctime each night)
but Jean-Louis asked the poster a simple question that was
Cyrille and my problem:

    "Do you have record set to yes in your dumptype?"

  Jean-Louis, where were you this time ;))

Such a simple solution, I was using a new server, with a
brand new installation of amanda and the default global
dumptype has "record no".

THANKS Cyrille!!!    I'd owe you a beer,
but you probably would not like most American beer.

jl
 JG Computing
 4455 Province Line Road        (609) 252-0159
 Princeton, NJ  08540-4322      (609) 683-7220 (fax)